Texas Success Initiative (TSI)
The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) is a state-legislated program designed to ensure that students have the skills in Reading, Writing, and Math to be successful with college level work. There are two major components of the program:
- An assessment to diagnose students' basic skill in reading, writing, and mathematics, and
- Developmental instruction, to strengthen academic skills that need improvement.
A student is exempt from all TSI requirements under any one of the following conditions:
- The student has earned a bachelor’s degree or an associate’s degree from a regionally accredited Texas institution.
- The student is serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and has been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment.
- The student was honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or served as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States on or after August 1, 1990.
- The student is a non-degree-seeking (up to 9 credit hours of transferable coursework) or a certificate-seeking student.
- SAT and ACT scores used to support an exemption must be less than five years old. (ACT & SAT scores are not required for admissions into Weatherford College; however, scores can be used to exempt a student from placement testing if standard is met.)
- SAT score of at least 530 on the math portion is exempt from the math requirement.
- SAT score of at least 480 on the evidence based reading and writing is exempt from the reading and writing requirements.
- ACT composite score of at least 23 and a math score of at least 19 is exempt from the math requirement.
- ACT composite score of at least 23 and an English score of at least 19 is exempt from the reading and writing requirements.
- STAAR Algebra II End of Course Exam with a level II score (4000)
- STAAR Reading or Writing III End of Course Exam with a level II score (2000).
- A student who has completed a TSI restricted course at another regionally accredited institution.
- A student has attended another Texas institution and has been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution.
For more information about about the Texas Success Initiative and college placement requirements please contact an academic advisor.
Please use Register Blast to schedule a TSI exam.