Piano Studies at Weatherford College combine a rigorous curriculum of core music classes with a solid focus on piano skills and repertoire.
- Applied piano study is available to majors and non-majors. The numerous performance opportunities include student recital, studio classes, master classes with the piano faculty and guest artists, community events and the WC International Piano Festival and Competition. WC student pianists are encouraged to participate in piano competitions and festivals to develop their skills and increase their knowledge of the piano repertoire.
- The collaborative piano experience is an important component of the piano curriculum at Weatherford College. Students have the opportunity to play with other musicians in a duo or chamber music setting or with a choir ensemble, Opera workshop and WC Jazz Band. Piano students learn various aspects of collaborative piano playing, including rehearsal techniques and score markings. They are assigned to work with other music students to experience the collaborative process through rehearsals and performances.
- In association with music theory courses, the group piano courses for music majors enable students to develop their music-reading and keyboard skills through chord approach, keyboard harmony, transposition, and solo and ensemble playing.
- Experience regular master classes and performances by internationally acclaimed pianists.
Admission to the piano program is based on:
- An audition consisting of a performance of two pieces from contrasting periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionist, or Twentieth-Century)
- Academic records
For more information, contact Dr. Hyeyoung Song – www.facebook.com/pianisthyeyoungsong/