In accordance with the mission of Weatherford College, the Vocational Nursing Program is committed to providing effective learning opportunities in vocational nursing education that enriches the lives of our students and the communities we serve. This mission is accomplished by:
- Presenting students with the standards of nursing practice, with an emphasis on safe, legal and ethical nursing.
- Promoting excellence in nursing education.
- Encouraging students to be responsible for their professional growth.
- Preparing students to function safely in a variety of health care settings and within cultural, racial, ethical and developmental diversities.
Students will be prepared to function as a member of the nursing profession, a provider of patient-centered care, a patient safety advocate, and a member of the health care team.
The goal of the Vocational Nursing Program is to prepare an individual to function within the scope of the practice as defined in the Nurse Practice Act for the state of Texas. Upon completion of the Vocational Nursing Program, the graduate should be able to:
1. Provide safe, competent, patient-centered care utilizing evidenced-based practice for clients of any age in a variety of structured health care settings under the direction of a registered nurse, physician or dentist.
2. Communicate effectively with clients, families, peers and members of the health care team, while respecting established lines of authority.
3. Utilize a systematic approach to provide individualized care and advocacy for clients and families.
4. Demonstrate the ability to administer medication safely and accurately through knowledge of drug classifications, effects, reactions and indications, as well as the calculation of correct dosages.
5. Collaborate with other members of the health care team to teach clients to promote health maintenance and wellness.
6. Accept legal, ethical and professional accountability in the practice of Vocational Nursing. Including but not limited to adherence to federal HIPPA regulations.
The Weatherford College Vocational Nursing Program is approved by the Texas Board of Nursing (BON). The BON can be reached at 333 Guadalupe, Suite 3-640, Austin TX 78701, phone 512-305-7400.
The Vocational Nursing curriculum plan is approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).
NCLEX Pass Rates
- Vocational Nursing Program
2019 - 90.48%
2018 - 84.85%
2017 - 98.08%
2016 - 92%
2015 - 97.73%
2014 - 95.24%
2013 - 100%
2012 - 94.55%
2011 - 94.59%
2010 - 98.08%