You are here

TASFA Application for Non-U.S. Citizen / Non-Eligible Alien

This information is for non-citizens who are classified as Texas residents.

If you are a foreign student or non-citizen, you may be eligible to be classified as a Texas resident for tuition purposes. If so, you may also be eligible to receive state financial aid.

To apply for state financial aid as a House Bill 1403 / Senate Bill 1528 eligible student, you must complete the following forms:

Please assemble all of the required documentation and turn it in together:

  • A completed, signed paper TASFA form;
  • For Student: Student IRS Tax Return Transcript for the tax year corresponding with the current FAFSA year.
  • For Parents: Student IRS Tax Return Transcript for the tax year corresponding with the current FAFSA year.
  • For Students who did not file a tax return: All W-2 forms and a Letter of Non-filing for the tax year corresponding with the current FAFSA year.
  • For Parents who did not file a tax return: All W-2 forms and a Letter of Non-filing for the tax year corresponding with the current FAFSA year.
  • A Dependent or Independent Verification Worksheet corresponding with the TSAFA year application completed and signed by student (and parents, if applicable).

  • A copy of the student’s Social Security Card, if applicable. (this is used to determine if you qualify for federal aid and no other purpose).

  • A copy of the student’s Green Card/Visa documents, if applicable (this is used to determine if you qualify for federal aid and no other purpose).

  • Proof of graduation from an accredited Texas High School or equivalent.

  • Selective Service registration acknowledgement, if applicable.

For best results, make sure that you have provided a valid contact number or email address on all correspondence. Once all of the above documentation has been received, the Advisor can continue processing your aid for TPEG fund assistance. TPEG funds are limited and awarded on a first come/first served basis.

Additional Resources: College for All Texans


  • If you did the 2013/2014 FAFSA, you will need your 2012 Tax Return Transcript.
  • If you did the 2014/2015 FAFSA, you will need your 2013 Tax Return Transcript.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE - Be sure that you request a "Tax Return Transcript."

Printing a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS Website

The following web address will take you directly to the IRS page that allows you to print your Tax Return Transcript. The tax filer will need to create an account to log in. When prompted for the reason that a transcript is needed, select Financial Aid. Be sure that you request a Tax Return Transcript.

Importing Tax Information into the FAFSA application

An alternative to obtaining an IRS Tax Transcript is to import your tax information directly into your FAFSA application from the IRS. You may log into your completed FAFSA application and scroll through the pages until you reach the section that asks if you have completed a tax return.  If you answer affirmatively, you will be given the opportunity to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. This allows the IRS to transmit the answers to the tax questions directly into the FAFSA application. If the information is successfully transmitted, you will get an immediate message that it was successful. A corrected FAFSA application will be sent to the financial aid office with the tax information included. Once we have received this, we will, in most cases, no longer require the IRS tax transcript.

Requesting a Paper Tax Transcript from the IRS by Online, Phone, or Mail

Tax filers can request a transcript of their tax return from the Internal Revenue (IRS), free of charge.


  • When prompted for an address, use the address currently on file with the IRS, usually the address listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the U.S. Postal Service, the updated address may be on file.
  • Once the IRS has verified/validated the information on the request, the tax filer can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their request within 10 business days.
  • If any of the information on the request does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.

Online Request

  1. Available on the IRS Web Site at
  2. Go to the TOOLS section of the homepage and click “Order a Return or Account Transcript,” Select Tax Return Transcript.
    DO NOT ORDER AN ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT, unless specifically requested by the financial aid office.
  3. Enter the requested information.
  4. In the Type of Transcript field, select “Return Transcript,” and in the Tax Year field, select the year Tax Return Transcript needed.

Telephone Request

  1. Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946. Or for hearing impaired: 1-800-829-4059 (TDD)
  2. Follow the prompts to enter the Social Security Number and the numbers in the street address. (This address must match the address on your tax form with IRS)
  3. Select “Option 2” to request a Tax Return Transcript, and then enter the year requested.

If you have a request that cannot be completed through the automated process, you may call the Live Help line at 1-800-829-1040.

Paper Request Form-IRS Form 4506T-EZ

  1. Download the IRS Form 4506T-EZ at
  2. "Line 5" provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS; However, we recommend that you have the document sent to yourself directly.
  3. Mail or fax the completed IRS form 4506T-EZ to the address or fax number provided on page 2 of the form 4506T-EZ.

TASFA Instructions

TASFA Application

FAFSA Application