You are here

Dual Enrollment Grant

The Dual Enrollment Grant has been established to assist eligible high school students enrolled in dual credit classes with a portion of their tuition amount. It is for academic dual credit classes only and may cover up to 6-hours of tuition for dual credit academic classes. Please see the Dual Enrollment Grant FAQs for more information.


•  What is DEG?

DEG is Dual Enrollment Grant. It can help a dual credit student with tuition up to 6-hours per term for academic dual credit classes during Fall and/or Spring terms.

•  How can I receive DEG?

You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the school year you will be taking dual credit classes. For example, you would complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA if you plan to attend Fall 2021 and/or Spring 2022. You will complete the FAFSA

  How early can I complete the FAFSA?

FAFSA opens up every October 1 for the following academic year. For example, the 2021-2022 FAFSA for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 opened October 1, 2021.

•  What will DEG pay?

If you are eligible, DEG can cover up to 6-hours (per semester) of tuition only, no fees, and no books. If you take more than 6 hours of academic dual credit classes, you will have to pay for tuition over 6-hours by another means.

•  I am only taking 3 hours of dual credit academic courses. Will I still receive DEG for
   6 hours?

No. DEG can cover up to 6-hours tuition. If you take less than 6 hours (per semester), DEG will adjust down to the amount of tuition for the hours you take.

•  Are private school or home school dual credit students eligible to receive DEG?

If your private school has a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) agreement with WC, you may be eligible for DEG. You can check with your high school counselor if you are unsure. However, if your private school does not have a signed MOU on file, you are not eligible. Homeschool students are not eligible.

•  I am not a U.S. Citizen; can I receive DEG?

If you are classified as a Texas resident but would not be eligible to apply for the FAFSA based on citizenship, you may be able to complete the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFAA). You should contact the Financial Aid Office for more information: 817-598-6295.

•  What if I am taking technical classes (WECM-Workforce Education Course Manual)
   such as but not limited to Automotive, Welding, Cosmetology, etc. Will DEG pay for

Yes, up to a 6-hour cost of tuition and enrichment fees only. No refunds are given.

•  If I am eligible for DEG, am I guaranteed to receive it?

No. DEG funds are first-come, first-served. If the funds run out, even if you are eligible, you will not receive DEG. You also must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for DEG as well. To maintain satisfactory academic progress, you must maintain a 2.0 cumulative financial aid GPA, maintain at least a 67% pace of completion, and not exceed a maximum number of hours based on your degree/certificate. You can view the SAP details at

•  Will DEG refund to me if I have paid out-of-pocket?

If you are eligible based on your completed FAFSA, you are maintaining SAP, and there are funds remaining, you may be able to receive a refund.

•  Will DEG pay toward any fees (lab fees, parking fees, etc.), books, or supplies?

No. DEG covers tuition only up to 6-hours for academic dual credit classes. The student
is responsible for any tuition above 6-hours as well as for fees, books, and supplies.

•  How can I know what my status is for DEG processing?

Once you submit the FAFSA, you should watch your WC student email as well as your Coyote Connect. It will take approximately one to two weeks for WC to receive your FAFSA after you have submitted it. You will be able to see when your FAFSA is received at WC, if any verification documentation is needed, and if you have been awarded.

•  What is verification?

If you are selected for verification, you may have to provide verification documentation. You can find what is needed at Most of the documentation needed can be completed online in the WC Aid Verification site or uploaded in that same site. There is an instruction sheet on the above link for accessing the WC Aid Verification site.

•  Can my parent call Financial Aid and receive information concerning my DEG or

The parent of the Dual Credit student calling must be on the student’s FAFSA and must have certain information in order to obtain any financial aid information on the student.

•  Do I have a deadline to complete the process of my FAFSA to be considered for

There are priority deadlines in which if we receive your completed FAFSA and any required documentation by that date, your DEG will be processed before payment is due. However, you may still be able to receive DEG if you are otherwise eligible after that deadline. It will depend on your eligibility and if funds remain. Fall priority deadline is June 21 and Spring priority deadline is November 18.

•  Can I still receive DEG even if I receive another exemption or other assistance?

Exemptions and other outside sources normally cover tuition so if you have an exemption, you will not receive DEG. These exemptions or other sources can include, but are not limited to, blind, deaf, adoption, foster care, Texas Tomorrow, Texas Promise, Hazlewood, etc.

•  What if my ISD wants to help with charges?

If your ISD sends a voucher to WC, it will pay after DEG. It may be able to pay for fees
while DEG only covers tuition up to 6-hours.

•  FAFSA looks at 2 years-prior income information. What if my family income is
   different now?

You should contact the Financial Aid Office to see if special considerations can be made. Special Processing will not be reviewed during January, July, or August.

•  Will I need to complete a new FAFSA every year for DEG?

Yes, as long you want to apply for DEG. You will also need to complete the appropriate FAFSA if you will be attending college after you graduate high school. New FAFSAs will open every October 1.

•  Will DEG cover summer classes?

No. DEG is for dual credit academic classes. There are no high school classes during the summer so DEG is for fall and spring terms only.

•  Can I receive any other federal or state grants or student loans while still in high

No. You must be a high school graduate or complete a GED in order to receive other types of federal or state aid. DEG is a special funding through WC for dual credit students only.

•  How should students answer the questions about High school completion. 

None of the Above.

•  How should the student complete the “Grade level in College”? 

You have two options: Never attended college and 1st year undergraduate OR Attended college before and 1st year undergraduate. Either one is fine. We are not looking at this information anyway. Once you become an official college student, then you will need to be as accurate as possible.

•  Will this affect future financial aid? 

If you fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress, you may not be eligible for future financial aid.

•  What if a student does not meet the 3-year residency requirement for TASFA? 

You are not eligible due to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board requirement
for this grant money.