Title IX Report - Complaint Process
- Title IX Coordinator reviews report and notifies appropriate College Administrators.
- Title IX Coordinator follows up with the individual(s) who submitted the report for more information, and then follows up with the reporting party (complainant).
Intake / Initial Conversation with Reporting Student
- Title IX Coordinator meets with Reporting Party and discusses student’s role at the college, student’s options in moving forward, safety concern, and interim remedies.
- Title IX Coordinator will implement any interim remedies requested (or deemed necessary to stop, remedy, and prevent sex discrimination) at this time.
- If the Reporting Party requests to file a formal complaint, the Title IX Coordinator will initiate an investigative team to the case.
- If the Reporting Party requests to file criminal charges, the Title IX Coordinator will assist the student in doing so.
- If the Reporting Party does not wish to file a complaint, the Title IX Coordinator will assess the risks to the campus community through an exploratory investigation.
- Title IX Coordinator will discuss the report with appropriate investigators and determine how the investigation will take place.
Investigation and Report Development
- Investigative team will reach out to the students involved to request appointments for interviews. Notification of charges and potential sanctions will occur.
- Investigators conduct investigations with all parties involved in the case.
- Investigators debrief with Title IX Coordinator after each interview to discuss safety concerns, interim remedies requested or deemed necessary, and to ensure students are receiving due process and a prompt, fair, and equitable process.
- Title IX Coordinator follows up with students regarding any interim remedies requested and provides updates to each party.
- Investigative Report is developed.
- Title IX Coordinator reviews the Investigative Report and determines how the case should proceed.
- Not sufficient evidence to render a decision.
- Find the responding party responsible based on a preponderance of evidence standard and issue appropriate sanctions.
- Find the responding party not-responsible based on a preponderance of evidence standard.
- In cases in which the facts of the case are disputed, forward to appropriate appeals committee for review.
- Forward recommendation to the appropriate administrator.
- The Responding Party has the option of utilizing the informal resolution process by acknowledge wrongdoing and accepting sanctions (reporting party must agree).
- Both parties are notified of the outcome. Appeal process become available to both parties once decision is final.
- A petition for appeal must be submitted to the Vice President of Instruction and Student Services within 7 business days after delivery of the written decision.
- Either party has the right to an appeal if proper grounds for an appeal exist.
- Vice President of Instruction and Student Services will communicate with the students for interview and render final decision within ten business days.
- All students have the right to contact the President.