RECOMMENDED CANVAS TECHNOLOGY
Canvas runs on Windows, Mac, iOS, android or any other device* with a modern up to date web browser.
Supported desktop browsers include the most current versions of:
- Firefox (Extended Releases are not supported*)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser Proctoring Software (supporting the latest system requirements – please note that it currently does not support ChromeBooks)
- Safari (Macintosh only)
You should always use the most current version of your preferred browser. Your browser will notify you if there is a new version available. It is also of importance to note that third party content providers (such as Cengage, McGraw Hill, and Pearson) often have specific requirements. If your class is using a third party content provider, please refer to the technology requirements for that product to ensure your access to course materials.
Canvas no longer supports Internet Explorer (10 & 11), you are highly encouraged to use Chrome, Safari, or Firefox for the best user experience. When using a browser that does not support the minimum requirements for Canvas, you will receive a message prompt “your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas”.
Read more information at: Which browsers does Canvas Support?
Canvas requires the following browser components:
- Flash is required for media recording, streaming, viewing, and uploading.
- The Java plug-in is required for several features in Canvas.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view documents in your browser.
- Macintosh: VoiceOver (latest version for Safari)
- PC: JAWS (latest version for Firefox)
- PC: NVDA (latest version for Firefox)
- There is no screen reader support for Canvas in Chrome
- Windows 7 and newer
- Mac OSX 10.10 and newer
- Linux – chromeOS (for accessing Canvas, however chromeOS does not work with Respondus Lockdown)
Recommended Computer Hardware
Canvas recommends users have use of a computer system with the following specifications and components:
- Use a computer 5 years old or newer when possible
- 2 GHz processor or faster
- 1GB RAM or greater
- 80 GB hard drive or larger
- Cable/DSL broadband connection or better
- 1024×768 or greater resolution monitor
For audio/video access:
- Video card
- Sound card with speakers
- Computer microphone
- A web camera capable of video web conferencing
Nice to have:
- External storage device/flash drive
- Inkjet or laser printer
While Canvas is supported on Android and iOS mobile devices, it is optimized for desktop displays. Since Canvas uses flash, certain features may not be available to you on your mobile device. Using your desktop to submit assignments, discussion posts, and take quizzes is highly recommended.
Will Canvas Work On My Mobile Device?
* As of January 5, 2019, Android apps require version 5.0 or later and iOS apps require version 12 or later. All Android and iOS both support the two most recent versions of their respective operating systems.
Read more information at What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas?