The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program begins every year in August and is a two-year continuous program, which requires all day attendance Monday through Friday. All prospective students are required to meet the admission criteria. In addition, all applicants should be free of illegal drug use, have no felony convictions, and be clear of any misdemeanor convictions other
than minor traffic violations. For more information about the application procedures please call 817-598-6217. Applications for admission will be accepted beginning the first Monday in December through the last business day of February each year for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program. Application is available in the Information Packet.
- Submit Weatherford College application and official transcripts to the Office of Student Services and select 'general studies' as the major.
- Evidence of successful completion of the TASP/THEA/ACCUPLACER/COMPASS or evidence of being exempt.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a grade of ‘C’ or higher:
• MATH 1314 – College Algebra or MATH 1414
• ENGL 1301 – English Composition I
• BIOL 2401 – Anatomy and Physiology I
• BIOL 2402 – Anatomy and Physiology II
• PHYS 1401 – General Physics or PHYS 1415
• Elective – Humanities or Visual/Performing Arts
• PSYC 2301 – Introduction to Psychology
- Completion of the TEAS Entrance Exam with a minimum score of 70% each on the reading comprehension and math sections is required. TEAS scores are good for two years. TEAS scores must be current through the application deadline.
- Preferred GPA of 3.5 for the prerequisite courses, but not required.
- Begin the Hepatitis B series and submit proof of the first shot or a positive titer with application. This is a 4 - 6 month process and must be completed prior to the fall semester. Failure to meet application requirements will result in denial of application. We do not accept the Fast Track series.
- Submit Allied Health application with official transcripts from all colleges attended, TEAS test scores, and proof of Hepatitis B shot to the Health and Human Sciences Division, Jack Knight bldg.
- Only completed applications along with official transcripts, TEAS test scores, and proof of Hepatitis B shot will be accepted.
- Science courses must have been taken within five years prior to admission.
- Certificates of training, transcripts and resume must be submitted if requesting credit for prior medical work experience. Credit will not be given if documentation is submitted.
English Proficiency Requirements
Before being accepted into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program an applicant who's native language* is not English must submit an acceptable score on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) with application. Additional information may be obtained from the Allied Health Department. *A native language is a language that is acquired naturally during childhood & is usually spoken at home, as opposed to a language that is learned later in life, for example, as a part of a person's formal education.
Once selected for admission to the program, the student will be given instructions and must complete the following prior to the clinical portion of the program.
- Complete a criminal background check
- Obtain a TB screen test, a 10 panel urine drug screen, various titers and immunizations, completion of Hepatitis B series, and a back/spine screen
- Submit proof of major medical health insurance
- Obtain current American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider CPR - valid through 2 years.
Information and specifics on obtaining the above criteria will be available to the student upon acceptance to the program.
TEAS Entrance Exam
The TEAS test is given in the Testing Center at Weatherford College, located upstairs of Student Services. Please contact the Testing Center at 817-594-5471, ext. 488 to schedule an appointment for your test. You are allowed to take the test twice within a six-month period. The cost of the test is $50.00. TEAS Test will be offered September through July of each year for Sonography and Nursing Applicants.
The TEAS Study Manual is available from our college bookstore or you may purchase it direct from the publisher at www.atitesting.com/onlinestore.
Tutorials / Workshops
Weatherford College has tutorials for the TEAS in the Success Connection Office on campus.
www.math.com (Pre-Algebra & Algebra)
A free practice test may be found at www.testprepreview.com/nursing_practice.htm.