The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program begins every year in August and is a 22-month continuous program which requires full-day attendance Monday through Friday. All prospective students are required to meet the admission criteria. In addition, all applicants should be free of illegal drug use, have no felony convictions, and be clear of any misdemeanor convictions other than minor traffic violations. For more information about the application procedures, please call 817-598-6217. Applications for admission will be accepted beginning the first business day in December through the last business day of February each year for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program. Applications may be downloaded from our program web page.
- Submit Weatherford College application via ApplyTexas (select General Studies as major), official transcripts, and evidence of Texas Success Initiative or completion, to the Office of Student Affairs.
- Evidence of successful completion of the TASP/THEA/ACCUPLACER/COMPASS or evidence of being exempt.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a grade of ‘C’ or higher:
• MATH 1314 – College Algebra or MATH 1414
• ENGL 1301 – English Composition I
• BIOL 2401 – Anatomy and Physiology I
• BIOL 2402 – Anatomy and Physiology II
• PHYS 1401 – General Physics or PHYS 1415
• Elective – Creative Arts and Language/Philosophy, Culture
• PSYC 2301 – Introduction to Psychology
- Completion of either the TEAS Entrance Exam or the HESI A2 Entrance Exam is required. Please, see more details below.
- Preferred GPA of 3.5 for the prerequisite courses, but not required.
- Begin the Hepatitis B series and submit proof of the first shot or a positive titer with application. This is a 4 - 6 month process and must be completed prior to the fall semester. Failure to meet application requirements will result in denial of application. We do not accept the Fast Track series.
- Submit Health & Human Sciences application with official transcripts from all colleges attended, TEAS test scores, and proof of Hepatitis B shot to the Health and Human Sciences Division, Jack Knight bldg.
- Only completed applications along with official transcripts, TEAS test scores, and proof of Hepatitis B shot will be accepted.
- Science courses must have been taken within five years prior to admission.
- Consideration for credit for human medical work experience requires submission of training certificate, transcripts, and a resume with references.
- Failure to meet application requirements will result in denial of application.
English Proficiency Requirements
Before being accepted into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program an applicant who's native language* is not English must submit an acceptable score on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) with application. Additional information may be obtained from the Allied Health Department. *A native language is a language that is acquired naturally during childhood & is usually spoken at home, as opposed to a language that is learned later in life, for example, as a part of a person's formal education.
Once selected for admission to the program, the student will be given instructions and must complete the following prior to the clinical portion of the program.
- Complete a criminal background check
- Obtain a TB screen test, a 10 panel urine drug screen, various titers and immunizations, completion of Hepatitis B series, and a back/spine screen
- Submit proof of major medical health insurance
- Obtain current American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider CPR - valid through 2 years.
Information and specifics on obtaining the above criteria will be available to the student upon acceptance to the program.
~ Back to Top
TEAS Entrance Exam
Beginning September 2019, the TEAS exam will be replaced by the HESI A2 exam.
Credit will be given for TEAS exams taken from January 2, 2019 until December 2, 2019 as follows:
- TEAS EXAM Requirements: MUST PASS READING AND MATH PORTIONS WITH 70% OR HIGHER. Reading, Math, Science, and English (points will be awarded based on scores in each section). 90-100 = 4 points, 80-89 = 3 points, 70-79 = 2 points.
- Completion of either the HESI Exam or the TEAS Exam will be accepted during the application period for the 2020 Fall Enrollment.
- Please, contact the Testing Center for more information regarding the HESI Exam.
The TEAS Study Manual is available from our college bookstore or you may purchase it directly from the publisher at www.atitesting.com/onlinestore.
Tutorials / Workshops
Weatherford College has tutorials for the TEAS in the Success Connection Office on campus. Please check for workshop dates at www.wc.edu --> Instructional Support --> Success Connection --> COMPASS / Net / TEAS Prep.
www.math.com (Pre-Algebra & Algebra)
~ Back to Top