The total cost of the training is usually $3500.00 for any certification area. The cost, by course, is provided below. The Pedagogy & Professional Responsibilities course must be paid in full at the time of registration. The remaining $2700.00 may be paid at the beginning of each class. An online bank is available to finance the last $1500.00 for internship, if desired. Once an individual has been accepted into the program, s/he has up to three years to complete all required coursework and the internship/clinical teaching experience.
NOTE: The state requires 30 hours of observations in public school classrooms.
Required Coursework Fees for Most Certification Areas
(Core Subjects 4-8; English Language Arts/Reading; English Language Arts Reading/Social Studies; Family/Consumer Science; Health; History; Math; Math/Science; PE; Science 7-12; Life Science; Physical Science; Speech; Social Studies 4-8; Social Studies 7-12)
1. Teacher preparation tuition:
• Pedagogy & Professional Responsibilities, $800.00 + books
• Content Methods Training, in July each year, $600.00
• Intel ® Teach to the Future (Instructional Techology) in July each year, $600.00
2. Internship/Clinical Teaching $1500.00 + books
(Overall cost to reach standard certification is estimated to be $4300.) Program Application Fee - $50.00, Books and Materials - Varies depending on certificate, estimated $135.00 + State fees:
- $131.00 - Content test, and
- $131.00 - PPR Test
- *Fingerprinting - $47.00
- *Probationary Certificate - $52.00+
- *Standard Certificate - $77.00+
ESL Supplemental: This certificate can be added to any certificate. This course is offered in June; it costs $300+books. The ESL Supplemental test costs $131.
Special Education: This certificate must be added to a content area certificate. This certificate can be added to an English language arts certificate or a math certificate. This course is offered in June; it costs $600+books. The Special Education EC-12 test costs $131.
Special Education Certificate
- Special Education - $600.00 + books (Added to fees for other courses)
- Special Education certification test - $131.00
*Fees are subject to change
See www.texes.ets.org for late registration fees and other information.
See www.tea.state.tx.us/ for more information on teaching in Texas.
For further information, call the Education Department at 817-598-6446.