On Tuesday, Nov. 18, the WC choir will perform their fall concert, Love Songs: Human and Holy, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Choir director Rob Laney said the concert is the choir’s most ambitious yet.
“It is full of poetic language, sweeping emotion and transcending entertainment,” Laney said. “The main work in the concert is a setting by contemporary composer John Corigliano of the Dylan Thomas poem Fern Hill which frames the biblical creation story in a warm agrarian setting. With some creative staging by the choir, this piece is not to be missed.”
The concert also showcases tunes from Sweden, Czechoslovakia and Norway and is rounded out with songs by Mendelssohn, Brahms and Lennon/McCartney.
Other upcoming fine arts events at Weatherford College:
- Student Art Show Reception: Monday, Nov. 17, at 6 p.m. in Texas Hall. The art show will remain up for viewing through Tuesday, Nov. 25.
- Jazz finds itself between Rock and Hard Bop! – jazz band concert: Thursday, Nov. 20, at 7:30 p.m.
- Handel’s “Messiah” - choir concert: Monday, Dec. 1, at 7:30 p.m.
- Student photo show begins Thursday, Dec. 4
- Hansel and Gretel - theatre production: Saturday, Dec. 6, at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 7, and 2 p.m.
All events are held in the Alkek Fine Arts Center. Doors open a half-hour prior to start time, and admission is always free.