The Weatherford College Board of Trustees approved an 8 percent pay increase for adjunct and overload section instructors following an executive session Thursday afternoon.
They also approved year-end bonuses in the amount of $500 for full-time employees and $250 for part-time staff members.
Funds to cover the bonus pay and salary increases are the result of several cost-saving measures, said WC President, Dr. Tod Allen Farmer.
“I am very pleased that through collaboration with the Faculty Senate and campus administration we were able to reallocate existing resources to help bring faculty and staff salaries closer to state averages,” Farmer said. “Efficiency measures such as the salary savings associated with temporary hiring freezes, the consolidation of small classes, and the realignment of existing human resources were very helpful in funding the compensation measures. This was the first step in the right direction, with more to follow.”
During the regular portion of the meeting, the board discussed future academic demands and needs.
Mike Endy, Weatherford College Vice President of Instruction and Student Services, presented an update highlighting several initiatives currently in the works including an engineering and computer partnership with Tarleton State University.
“It’s rather unique and in it’s foundational stages,” Endy said. “Rather than talking about students transferring here or there we’re talking about sharing students between institutions like Tarleton State University in order to advance them in that very specialized career. If we tried to do that alone, we couldn’t.”
Lee Butler, Director of Institutional Research and Assessment, presented information on a post-secondary survey in the works for high school seniors in WC’s service area to determine their plans for post-secondary education or employment. Taking this survey would be facilitated by local high school counselors and would guide WC administration in what programs are offered in the future.
In his President’s Report, Dr. Tod Allen Farmer:
- Recognized the Board of Trustees as part of December’s Board Appreciation Month. WC Student Ambassadors were present at the meeting to present each board member with a gift of thanks.
- Recognized the Parker County Community Choir on their recent performance of G.F. Handel’s “Messiah.”
- Recognized Dr. Andra Cantrell, WC’s executive vice president of financial and administrative affairs, who recently led a team of WC employees in the Guided Pathways training in Dallas.
- Recognized Dr. Tola Plusnick, assistant director of the Associate Degree Nursing Program, on her recommendation for appointment to the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), ACEN Evaluation Review Panel and the ACEN Appeal Panel.
- Recognized Board Secretary Lela Morris for recently attending the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board 60x30TX training.
- Recognized Lori Gouge, Physical Sciences Department chair, and her archeology students on their ongoing work with the Doss Heritage and Culture Center cabin project which was highlighted on Channel 4 news.
- Announced the retirement of Mary Ziegler, director of workforce and continuing education.
- Announced that all board members are current on their required training for the year.
In other business the board:
- Approved the minutes from the Nov. 8 board meeting.
- Approved the quarterly investment report.
- Approved the financial reports ending Nov. 30, 2018.
- Approved the disposal of obsolete and surplus items through e-waste recycling.
- Approved authorization for a lease agreement with Porter Burgess Company.
- Approved the January board meeting date of Jan. 10, 2019.
- Approved the 2017-18 Financial Audit.
- Ordered a regular election for Board of Trustees Place 1 currently held by Mac Smith, Place 2 currently held by Judy Ray McAnally and a special election for Place 4 currently held by Roger Grizzard for May 4, 2019.
- Received a sesquicentennial update from Katie Edwards, Director of Creative and Graphic Services and chair of the Sesquicentennial Steering Committee
- Received a report on Guided Pathways.