Weatherford College, in conjunction with Weatherford ISD and Region 11, is hosting a Transition Expo from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Nov. 14, for families with special needs students.
All sessions and vendor booths will be located in the WC Academic Building. Parking will be available in north lot off Park Avenue near the Doss Student Center.
“This is a collaborative event that we want to do for our families and the community,” said Patti Young, Executive Director of Special Programs with WISD. “We have conducted this expo in previous years and parents have told us a Saturday morning allowed them to gather valuable information on local and state resources available for their children.”
Vendors for the expo include Pecan Valley Centers, Dynavox, Expanco, Miracle League and more. The morning will also include four presenter sessions with families having the choice of which presentation they would like to attend. Presenters include:
- Income by Design – Hillary Kent, SSI
- Waivers, Options and Application Process – Pecan Valley Centers
- Programs and Certifications – Weatherford College Continuing Education
- Guardianship and Special Needs Trusts – Louis Stefanos and Shannon Gracey Law
- What is college like? – Weatherford College Faculty and Students with Disabilities
- Mary Smith, DARS Transition Counselor
- High School vs College: Different Law and Reasonable Accommodations – Dawn Kahlden
“I want to provide students all of the options they have after high school,” said Dawn Kahlden, WC Director of Special Populations. “By providing them the ability to ask questions to speakers and vendors they can get answers to their specific situation.”
For more information on the Transition Expo, contact Dawn Kahlden at 817-598-6350 or firstname.lastname@example.org.