NOTE: Thank you to all the wonderful young pianists who entered Weatherford College Interna-
tional Piano Competition this year! Due to the number of entries, we must delay the time for notification of finalists until March 19th. This is to give our esteemed judges the time to make the best choices for the final contestants. We hope you understand the importance that all materials you have submitted are completely and fairly heard and judged. Thank you for your patience.
|APRIL 25, 2020 ~ ALKEK PERFORMANCE HALL ~ WEATHERFORD COLLEGE
The Weatherford College is proud to hold the 2nd Annual Weatherford College International Piano Competition for young pianists. Contestants will compete for $5,300 in awards; First Prize winners will also receive concert engagements for 2020-2021. The competition will be held on Saturday, April 25th, 2020 in the Alkek Fine Arts Center, Weatherford College, Texas. Applications must be submitted by March 6, 2020.
Date: April 25, 2020
Location: Alkek Fine Arts Center, Weatherford College
Application Deadline: March 6, 2020
- Junior Division: Ages 11-17 (max: 15 minutes)
- Young Artist Division: Ages 18 and over (max: 25 minutes)
- Applicants for the Young Artist Division must be ages 18 and over by the day of the competition, April 25, 2020. Applicants must be currently enrolled as students in conservatories or universities. Applicants older than age 36, but currently enrolled as students are eligible.
- Junior Division: 1st Prize $1,000, 2nd Prize $500, 3rd Prize $300
- Young Artist: 1st Prize $2,000, 2nd Prize $1,000, 3rd Prize $500
First prize winners will perform a solo recital at WC or Steinway Hall during the 2020-2021 academic year. All prize-winners will receive cash prizes, trophies, certificates and concert engagements to perform at WC or Steinway Hall during 2020-2021 academic year. Special prizes may be awarded.
The Weatherford College International Piano Competition welcomes pianists of all nationalities.
- Applicants for the Junior Division must be between ages 11-17 by the day of the competition, April 25, 2029.
- Applicants for the Young Artist Division must be between ages 18 and over by the day of the competition, April 25, 2020.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled as students in conservatories or universities. Applicants older than age 36, but currently enrolled as students are eligible.
Contestants have free choice of their repertoire for all rounds. Contestants are encouraged to program at least two contrasting pieces for solo piano from two different eras of Western classical music including Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Twentieth Century. All works must be performed from memory. Repertoire of the prescreening round can be repeated in the live round.
Original compositions and improvisations are not permitted. Repeats may be played at the discretion of the performer, but are not required. Total competition performance time is not to exceed 15 minutes for Junior Division and 25 minutes for Young Artist Division. There is no minimum time limit. Repertoire length may exceed this time limit although judges may stop the student if the performance exceeds the maximum time allowed (does not affect result).
- Candidates may present their choice of works in any order.
- Changes to finals' repertoire are to be made no later than April 1, 2020. No changes will be permitted afterwards.
- Only one movement of a sonata is allowed.
AUDITION & REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
- Video recording of 10-15 minutes of solo piano performance.
- Links to Google Drive, Vimeo, and Youtube are accepted.
- Contestant's choice. Need to include two contrasting pieces from two contrasting eras.
- Junior Division: Up to 15 minutes
- Young Artist Division: Up to 25 minutes
- Twelve Junior contestants and twelve Young Artist contestants will be selected by the pre-screening jury to compete at the live final round at Weatherford College on April 25, 2020. Works from preliminary round can be performed at the final round.
- Junior Division: $100.00
- Young Artist Division: $120.00
- Non-refundable. Payments are accepted online only through SimpleTix.
REGULATIONS & RULES
- All participants must complete and submit the full Weatherford College International Piano Competition application at www.wc.edu/wc-internatl-piano-competition. Registration deadline is March 6, 2020.
- Age requirements apply to applicant’s age as of April 25, 2020.
- Selected finalists for the April Competition will be notified on March 12, 2020.
- Selected finalists are to confirm attendance at the live rounds by March 16, 2020.
- Assigned performance slots are final.
- Judges' decisions on all awards and eligibility will be final.
- Competitors are responsible for their own expenses to participate in the competition, including the cost of their travel.
- Junior Division contestants must arrive by 8:30 am on the day of the competition.
- Contestants must be present at the awards ceremony to remain eligible for any prizes.
- Competition is presented before an audience.
- Judges reserve the right to cut off a performance at their discretion.
- The Competition reserves the right, without payment of fees, to record and distribute recordings for media and other purposes, including the Internet, and to televise, broadcast, film, record, videotape, photograph or stream live all stages of the Competition, all prize performances, and concerts.
- By applying to the Competition, applicants agree to abide by all the rules and regulations of the Weatherford College International Piano Competition.
- The Competition reserves the right to make necessary changes as circumstances dictate.
~ Back to Top